A colourful mediterranean style supper that is super easy to make while on the road. Usually plentiful in France and Spain red peppers are considered a super food as they contain over 200% of your daily vitamin C requirement, are high in vitamin A and are also a great antioxidant.
This was passed onto us by Richard Ferris and Sandra, close friends of Anchor Point Motorhomes and experienced motorhome owners for over 30 years! Our stuffing is made with freshly cooked rice to which we add pan fried onion, mushroom, pimento, chilli if you like it, herbs of your choice and small pieces of sausage, bacon or pepperoni. White wine is optional or you can add our lemon dressing to the mix together with grated cheese.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 Red Peppers
50g long grain rice
1 small onion thinly diced
1 Pimento pepper
Small bite sized cooked sausage, bacon or peperoni
Dash of white wine or lemon dressing
100g of your favourite cheese
Herbs of your choice
Your own favourites (e.g. chick peas, black beans, sweetcorn)
Salt and pepper
1. Wash the peppers, cut the top off or slice in half, deseed and scoop out the core.
2. Cook the onion gently until soft, add the mushrooms, pimento pepper, bite sized meat, 2 table spoons of your favourite filling (optional) and cook gently until heated through. Add the rice and optional wine/lemon dressing, stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper and herbs of your choice.
3. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and cook in the microwave or oven. If baking, it's helpful to soften the red peppers in the oven before adding the stuffing as otherwise the rice will blacken before the peppers are sufficiently cooked.
These are a meal in themselves! You can also use the large continental Tomatoes as well as, or instead of the Red Peppers!
See recipe for Lemon Dressing below:
Lemon Dressing (Batch Size)
2 teaspoons of English Mustard
2/3 dessert spoons of sugar, honey or Canderel
30% Lemon and 70% extra virgin olive oil
1. To make the dressing, squeeze the juice into an empty jam jar, catching any pips.
2. Add the oil, mustard and sweetener of choice into the jar.
3. Put the lid securely on the jar and shake well.
4. Have a taste and adjust to your preference.