This is a home cook dish that you can freeze to take with you. A heart warming slow cooked beef casserole for the whole family to enjoy after exploring the outdoors.
Shared with us by Richard Ferris, a close friend of Anchor Point Motorhomes, this hearty and healthy casserole is ideal for preparing at home. Just double up the ingredients, have for dinner and save the rest for your next motorhome trip.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1lb of Stewing Steak or shin beef
250g of Button mushrooms
1 or 2 Cloves of garlic crushed
2 Sticks celery
1 Red pepper
1 Tin of chopped tomato
Herbs of your choice (Rosemary or thyme are good choices)
250 ml of stock (or 500ml if not using wine)
250 ml of red wine (Optional)
Seasoned flour for dusting
1. Start with chopping and combining the onion, carrots, celery, red peppers and garlic and lightly fry until the flavours fuse and the onions are lightly cooked.
2. Add this mixture into a casserole dish along with a tin of tomatoes and add herbs of your choice.
3. Now dice up some generous pieces of steak and toss in well seasoned flour. Brown the pieces a few at a time in hot olive oil and add them to the casserole.
4. You can now deglaze the pan using stock and or wine and add to the casserole. This can take up to 4 hours to ovencook at preferably no more than 150C.
5. After 2 hours add your mushrooms but don't cut them too small; they'll shrink in the cooking!
6. As with all dishes don't forget to add salt and black pepper and in this case you can also add a small amount of sweetening in the tomato mix, plus if you should need more flavour you can use a stock cube as well.
TIP: Don't let the top of the casserole dry out or stick during the cooking: the meat should be tender and moist and not completely falling to pieces. You'll want a freezer pack for the results - don't eat it all now!