Mussels are a very popular Continental dish, but this is a new way of serving them. Serve this rustic lunchtime favourite with crusty garlic bread or Ciabatta to soak up all the wonderful flavours. This gourmet delight can whipped up in a matter of minutes, ideal while on your travels.
This recipe was passed onto us by Richard Ferris, a close friend of Anchor Point Motorhomes and experienced motorhome owner for over 30 years. We hope you enjoy this tasty treat, we also highly recommend that you use fresh mussels with this recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 tin of your favourite tomato soup (or your own homemade version)
1 lb of mussels washed and debearded
Ciabatta or garlic bread
Lemon dressing or white wine jus (optional)
Save a few mussel shells to garnish
1. Steam the mussels or cook in a pan with a little white wine for 4 minutes
2. Open a tin of your favourite tomato soup and heat, alternatively you can use your very own homemade version
3. Toss the mussels in lemon dressing or white wine jus (optional) and combine with the tomato soup (see recipe for lemon dressing below)
4. Now swirl in a generous portion of cream plus a blob on top, together with finely chopped parsley
5. Go all out and garnish with two or three empty mussel shells and serve with garlic bread or crusty ciabatta
Lemon Dressing (Batch Size)
2 teaspoons of English Mustard
2/3 dessert spoons of sugar, honey or Canderel
30% Lemon and 70% extra virgin olive oil
1. To make the dressing, squeeze the juice into an empty jam jar, catching any pips.
2. Add the oil, mustard and sweetener of choice into the jar.
3. Put the lid securely on the jar and shake well.
4. Have a taste and adjust to your preference.